Monday, April 21, 2008

A Brief Introduction

I've lived in France, Brazil, and am currently living in London, England. I guess it sounds like a lot of places considering I'm not yet 25, and I'm always a bit surprised (and obviously pleased) when people find this so impressive. Okay, I admit it. I shamelessly promote this fact about myself. But in a way, I always want more. More countries, more experiences, more stories. Don't get me wrong, I love Canada. In fact, I ALSO lived there for the first 20 years of my life, and a few months here and there for the last 5 years. It has made me who I am... I think. Well, my Canadian blood (by which I really mean immigrant blood) gave me my blonde hair anyway.

I think it was this blondeness that created my sense of adventure, and I wanted to share it with the world. Living in Montreal as a small child, people would stare at my hair. My parents tell me that little old quebecoise ladies would come up and stroke it, murmuring 'mais elle est blonde, blonde, blonde!' It instilled in me a sense of being exotic, my hair was my 'thing' that set me apart. It made people happy. It probably gave me a bit of an ego... but I'm very humble now (see: shameless self-promotion above).

From the time I was old enough to have a sense of awareness about 'different countries' and 'far off lands', I wanted to move away. So much so that my constant tantrum refrain became 'I'm moving to Australia!' My mother's attempts to amuse me consisted of spinning a globe and telling me to close my eyes and place my finger on it. The globe would stop, and wherever my finger landed was to be my new 'home'. I can't remember all the countries I went through, but one fact remained: I never expected to stay in Canada forever. Even my parents didn't expect it.

I started with baby steps, moving across the country (by this time we were living in Calgary) to attend a small, maritime university. It was different, it was quaint... and it got really boring after my first two years. I signed up for an exchange to Strasbourg, France, and my life changed from there. In Strasbourg I continued to meet interesting people from all over the world, one of whom I became quite close to; a Brazilian man who, by his looks anyway, was God's gift to women. I became hopelessly infatuated with him, and by proxy with Brazil. This was how, after finishing my bachelor's degree, I ended up living in Rio de Janeiro. Which then brought me to London at the hands of a very expensive Master's in Latin American studies.

No doubt in this blog I'll include the occasional old observation of France and Brazil (especially when I get lazy about updating). Of course my time in London will also feature. Who knows where I will blog from in future? Who knows if 'blog' is even a verb? For now, I'll leave you with this brief introduction, and hopefully leave you wanting more.

No comments: