Monday, May 26, 2008

I'll Have to Carrie a Sick Bag

Are you a Carrie or a Miranda? Is your sex life like Charlotte's or Samantha's? If you actually bothered to answer this, you need to find a hobby. And if you don't know what I'm referring to, congratulations! You are obviously a man. Feel free to celebrate by grunting and scratching. Oh, don't worry. I'm not so presumptuous as to think all men have escaped the Sex and the City phenomenon. Surely any man who has at least one woman in his life has been forced to acknowledge the existence of this show. He may even watch it and (secretly) like it. I myself happen to think it's very clever. But if I have to hear yet another girl comparing herself to one or more of these fictional characters I'm going to be sick.

Every girl seems to think she is "a Carrie", which I find surprising and sad. Why on earth would you want to compare yourself to a woman who possesses the common sense of a fruit fly? Let's face it, this character is not empowering. She's not good with money, she lets men walk all over her, and judging by her snippets of simpery narration, she's not even a good writer. As a rule, there should be maximum ONE rhetorical question per column. What Carrie delivers to her readers is a series of dead ends, interspersed with the occasional anecdote from her friends' lives. Anyone can do that. Example:

"And as I sat here typing, I began to wonder... would I ever find a new literary device other than the rhetorical question? Maybe men are like similes, and you can only compare them to each other in order to know their true character. Perhaps they are metaphors, symbolising the choices we make in life. For Charlotte, men symbolise babies, for Samantha they symbolise sex, for Miranda they are not to be trusted. As for me, they are my history, doomed to repeat itself. Is old history the new history? Will anyone actually read this?"

In a recent CBC column, Heather Mallick delivers a scathing review of the show, the movie, and the type of women they attract. http://www.cbc.ca/news/viewpoint/vp_mallick/20080519.html I agree wholeheartedly with her portrayal of 'those' women who think romance and life are akin to what's found within the plot lines. The show is absolutely unrealistic. Oh, to be sure, everyone has a Mr. Big... but in the real world he's called 'the one who can't commit', 'the jerk who tempts you with something more, but then gets offended when you take him up on it', and a host of other names I won't use because my mother reads this. We've all fallen prey to it... maybe even been strung along for years by the same guy who always seems to show up every time you think you've forgotten him (um, not me though, nope). But nobody should WANT to be that woman. Come on, ladies! We're better than that.

Even so, I liked the show very much. The dialogue was clever, and the characters played off each other nicely. Yes, I found Carrie annoying, but overall I thought it was funny. So even though the cinema is bound to be full of Carrie-wannabes that make me want to hurl, I'll be spending my pounds to see the movie when it opens in a few days. I'll even be dragging my boyfriend along with me. He'll complain, but I know he secretly likes it.

1 comment:

jen said...

Haha... As always, you've hit the nail on the head. I love how when people throw together random outfits with 'quirky' pieces that really don't work at all - they justify it by saying it's 'a Carrie look'. Barf.

Anyway... I'm a Miranda.