Sunday, November 7, 2010

A Delicious Day

This morning my husband took me out for a McDonald's breakfast, which he hardly ever does because he claims it is not very healthy (hey come on! I order my sausage n' egg muffin with no egg and no cheese!). This is a sure sign he is becoming less and less American by rejecting the ceremonial food of his people. But he's right, it's not very healthy, which I why I was so glad that my latest recipe club assignment (think book club, but with cooking) was full of delicious veggies.

Today I am cooking up a storm, which is why this post will not be very long. I have already made the tabouleh salad, and we're having it with zucchini and chickpea fritters (frittered in healthy olive oil... heh heh), and sweet potato falafels. Mmmm... are you jealous yet? Not to worry, you can see most of the recipes here. And if I get really ambitious, I might make something sweet and delicious to finish it off.

I'm not really sure where this one domestic trait came from, but I really love to cook. I probably take after my father, but I'm not quite as keen as he is to make insanely complicated recipes (usually involving long periods of brining or marinating), which he then follows to the letter even if it means he has to make 8 different trips to 8 different grocery stores to get the EXACT ingredients they call for. I'm a bit more slap-dash because, let's face it, I'm not exactly detail-oriented (unless you count writing/grammar). Today I forgot the feta for the fritters, so I scooped in a couple of spoonfuls of yoghurt. I'm sure it'll be fine. And if not, well, McDo's is still right down the street.

No comments: