Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Royally Pumped!

Well, it’s official. Prince William and Kate Middleton are engaged! I know many of my British friends are taking a stoic ‘too cool for school’ approach, having decided not to care, but I am very excited. Which obviously makes me a huge immigrant nerd, but I don’t care. It’s going to be the wedding of the century. Literally.

One of my friends actually met Wills, back when he was attending the University of St. Andrews and she was there on exchange. And by met, I mean he stood behind her in line once. Or something like that. You’ll have to ask her. I’m sure she tells it much better than I do.

As a Canadian I was never really sure what to make of the Princes, aside from feeling awful for little boys who lost their mother. I mean, the Queen is technically the Queen of Canada. And everybody loved the Queen Mum, but are the Princes 'Princes of Canada?'. I don't know and I no longer care. They can be my princes too (though I can't bring myself to find Harry attractive because, although he's very handsome, he bears a striking resemblance to my cousin).

The media here have been poised to pounce on this engagement for years. They even brutally named her 'Waity Katy', suggesting that somehow she was just hanging around waiting for him to propose. Even the Queen claims it took too long (or so I saw in a headline of a paper someone else was reading on the bus). I think it is to their credit that the couple waited. He needed to choose a wife with care, and she needed to know what she was getting into before they could BOTH make that huge decision. I bet many women already feel like their mother-in-law acts like queen of the castle when she visits*... but in this case it's no joke.

I bet the wedding industry is just foaming at the mouth and chomping at the bit with competitive bids for caterers, planners, bakers etc. Mostly I'm just trying to imagine what kind of gown she'll wear. Somehow I doubt she'll shop at Kleinfeld's of 'Say Yes to the Dress' fame. I bet she'll look nice no matter what, and not a bit like a 'commoner'.

*Not me, though. I lucked out in that department.

No comments: