Saturday, November 6, 2010

Tropical Sueños

Today is the kind of day that makes me love London. It's sunny, but not hot, and not too windy either. Unfortunately, there is a certain chill in the air that reminds me winter is coming, and soon we will be plunged into darkness, howling winds, and freezing cold rain which will have the immediate effect of rendering our days full of despair... not that I'm bitter about it or anything. Our flat is heated quite nicely for the moment, and since we don't have to pay heating bills (yay for heat included!), I don't have to worry about what it will cost me to be comfortable in my own little home.

Still, I wish we had the money to fly to Cuba or Brazil, or somewhere warm for Christmas break. Oh, did I say Cuba? That's right, we couldn't. My husband only has an American passport, so it is FORBIDDEN. Which I find hilarious because the US is a nation of people insisting they have all sorts of freedoms (except for freedom FROM gun toting lunatics because they have no gun control, and don't even get me started on the whole thing), but they are not allowed to go and sun themselves on one of the Caribbean's most beautiful islands.

Ah well, more Cuba for the rest of us, I suppose. In all my travels, Cuba was one of the best trips I've ever taken. A friend and I spent three weeks travelling around the island, from Havana to Santiago, to Baracoa, to Trinidad (a city on the South coast). We stayed in casas particulares, bed and breakfasts run by locals, as opposed to staying at a resort and I wouldn't change a thing.

Okay, maybe I would change ONE thing. When some petty thieves made off with my purse (I'd smartly kept all passports, money etc. at the casa), I didn't really need to chase after them. I mean, it's not like they actually got away with anything. Except I liked that purse and I was mad at them for stealing it and my judgement may have been somewhat impaired by several mojitos. And when I went to give chase, I should not have kicked off my Havaiana flip flops because even though it allowed me to run faster and ALMOST CATCH THEM... I never found those flip flops again. Some other opportunistic soul had swiped them by the time I'd returned.

Maybe one day I'll return to Cuba and find my Havaianas. I'm willing to bet whoever took my shoes is still wearing them. I suppose they probably needed them more than I did.

No comments: