Sunday, February 27, 2011

Loves Me, Loves Me Not...

The city surprised me this week with a bout of warm(er) weather. As the temperature rose, my mood improved considerably. Walking to and from work, with the sunlight glinting off some of the more stately buildings in Paddington, and a warm breeze lifting my hair, I fell in love with the city all over again. The glorious sunset one night gave a glow to even the dodgy bit of West Hendon (where I work). Then yesterday it reverted back to cold, dreary rain, and I’m not gonna lie. I was pretty darn crabby, muttering things like ‘I hate this meeping city’ and ‘Ugh, rain again… why why why??’ under my breath as we walked to the bus stop.

Expats almost always have a bit of a love-hate relationship with their adopted home. Even those who retire somewhere nice and sunny probably think to themselves occasionally, ‘Gee, it would be nice to have some snow at Christmas’ or ‘I wish I could get (insert hard to find ingredient) here so I could make that special dish from home.’ Michael and I are no different, though he tends to be a lot more forgiving of London than I am. Maybe that’s because it was his first experience living abroad, and it’s like his first love or something. The hussy!

Don’t get me wrong, I love London, I really do. But we have a bit of a toxic relationship. I get frustrated by something almost every single day, though this could be because I take 2 buses to work, and the possibility of something stupid/time consuming/gross/weird happening is pretty high. And then, just when I begin to dream about the day we can move to a slightly less rainy city, London surprises me with a grand, romantic gesture, and I conveniently forget my anger.

I don't know that we'll stay forever, but I don't doubt that this is where we should be for the next few years. I mean, London is THE place for the young, childfree professional couple. We don't need a car, there's always something cool going on, and because we aren't shackled blessed with children, we can go out all the time. Okay, we go out some of the time. But still, the possibility for 'round the clock fun exists.

Plus we are a short train ride away from Paris, which is almost as good as living in Paris (well, not really, but it comforts me to say so). So I say, bring it on, London! I am going to make the most of everything here, and when I'm done with you, you're going to be begging me to stay. Plus, next week I'm buying a train pass. Think of it as couple's therapy.

1 comment:

Laura Bennett said...

I couldn't agree more Cait, London can be so frustrating and grimy and full of uncooperative and rude people. But then the sun comes out in Regent's Park, or someone shows you the way when you're lost, or there's a great exhibition on in some out of the way East London art gallery... and it is a whole different place. It took me a year to get used to living there and I'm from the UK! Then I fell in love with London and we lived happily ever after for my remaining two years in the city, albeit with the occasional tiff when cycling home from work in the pouring rain and cold...