Thursday, November 24, 2011

Delicious Detroit

We are getting close to the end, people, so close! I have found this year's NaBloPoMo to be much more difficult than last year for the obvious reason that this year I get up and go to work every day. It's not that I struggle for inspiration, or for topics to write about. There are loads I can think of each and every day. But I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and many of these are topics I'd like to fully cover. Topics like feminism, Latin American politics, food and music. Topics that require fact-checking, photos and links to various sources, or just more than a couple of paragraphs, and when I get home at the end of a 9 hour work day (because I'm also a keener at work) I just don't feel I can give them the writing prowess they deserve.

Plus I usually have to make dinner... and before you accuse me of domesticity, I'll confess that it's really my only chore. My husband doesn't like to cook. It's not that he can't, it's that he'd rather have a salad and bread than spend 2 hours fiddling with no-cook lasagne noodles only to have the result be crunchy and unpleasant (which is what happens when I decide to make lasagne, because I am always foolishly seduced by the no-cook noodles).

Last night I made honey-mustard chicken, though, and it turned out much better than I'd expected. I really do love food. I think I spend most of my day thinking up what I might eat next. One of my favourite things about the Portuguese language is that you can use the word 'delicious' to describe a good-looking guy or gal. So given my obsession with food, I was stoked to see this article in the Guardian today. I have been to Detroit on more than one occasion. Much of my husband's family is from that area, and yet I have never been to the food market mentioned, or eaten one of those delicious-looking hot dogs. Why haven't I? I would have been much more excited to visit the city if I'd known how delicious it was. Not that I wasn't excited to visit my husband's birthplace, of course, but this just puts it on a whole new level.

Next time, I'm going to demand
ask politely to go to these food joints. The in-laws have been holding out on me.

No comments: