Saturday, November 12, 2011

Expat traditions

I've never been a fan of introspective blog writing. Probably because it's just too close to a journal or a diary, two things I've never kept because the idea of someone reading my innermost thoughts makes me very uncomfortable. That and the fact that I don't really like to emote hither and yon, which could be the WASP in me, and also the fact that I spent the majority of my teenage years with a sadistic trainer who berated anyone who dared so much as tear up after a bad round in competition.

My ice-queen veneer firmly intact, I have no desire to use any of the NaBlo prompts so far. I don't want to write about things like 'the time I was really sad for no reason', or 'things that make my heart brim with joy'. So I'm making up my own prompt: traditions.

We now apparently have a tradition of going to the fireworks at the Lord Mayor's Show every year. Though I guess it depends on when you can classify something as a tradition (after 3 years? 5 years? 10 years?). It's something we first went to as young(er) grad students, back when we were 'just friends'. Michael didn't have many friends (that I noticed), and I wanted a warm body to cuddle in case it got cold next to the Thames. It was good fun, that first year, and we've been every year since - minus the year we spent in Korea, and the year we spent in Canada. I suppose it's what you might call a tradition now, and when you've moved around as much as I have in the last 10 years, it's kind of nice to be able to form a routine.

This year was excellent. We got a prime spot right near the fireworks, and I wasn't stuck behind a tall person, or any ladies with big hair or big hats. Afterwards we went for dinner in Holborn, just like we did last year. While it's not as important a tradition as, say, making sure I get pampered on my birthday, I now believe it has firmly inserted itself into our yearly calendar. When I get homesick, I just remind myself to look forward to events like this - reasons to love my life abroad.

No comments: