Thursday, November 3, 2011

Not such a blast from the past

I was invited to a high school reunion the other day, and my immediate reaction was to roll my eyes curl my lip in distaste. Let me explain. I graduated before the advent (or certainly the rise in popularity) of social media, long before we could 'tweet' our innermost thoughts on a play-by-play basis and thankfully before the word 'trend' became a verb. But I find it impossible to believe that since then no one else from the class of 2001 has heard of Facebook. In fact, I know they have because that's how I was invited.

Maybe I'm the odd one out, but I just don't see the point of going to a reunion to talk to people I happened to share a school with, when I don't really care what they're up to. I mean, sure, I'm curious about some of them. But I've already stalked those people. On Facebook. And of course I'm still in touch with my friends from that era. Though if we want to see each other, I see no reason to invite a bunch of other people who would spend the evening talking about their boring lives.

Oh please, don't look at me like that! I know you're thinking the same thing about your high school reunion. Stuck having to be an adult and make nice to the girl who was never mean to you in drama class, but who you witnessed psychologically torture other girls. Or the ones who prattle on about their children, or worse... their pets. Admit it. You don't want to go to your high school reunion either. You just don't have the excuse of living abroad to get out of going to it.

No comments: