Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Odd combos

Today is one of those days I wish I were back in Rio. Mostly because winter has finally arrived in London and it is stinkin' cold and dark. Sitting in my freezing office, I dreamed of hot beaches and cold juices. Also, I really, really wanted a grilled cheese and banana sandwich.

I know, it sounds crazy, right? But once you've tried one, you'll never go back to eating plain grilled cheese ever again. Don't think cheddar, because that would indeed be gross. The perfect grilled cheese and banana sandwich is made with soft white bread, firm bananas, and queijo de minas, a fresh and mild cheese with a tiny hint of saltiness - and a light sprinkling of cinnamon, if you're feeling creative.

When we were eight years old, my friend, Zoe, and I would draw up menus for 'disgusting sandwiches', and take turns trying to gross each other out. She was a much better artist, but I think I won extra points in the gross-out category. Still, we probably would have thought a grilled cheese and banana sandwich was weird (especially me, believing as I did that cheese was the root of all evil).

I think everyone's palate enjoys at least one odd combo. Michael eats raw broccoli with yellow mustard. I love Old Dutch jalapeƱo and cheddar chips with a cold glass of milk. Tell me about your weird but wonderful food combinations, I beg you. I can't find queijo de minas or Old Dutch here so I'm looking for the next great thing.

1 comment:

Laura Bennett said...

Strawberry jam and cheese sandwiches!